Back to the Barn

By | October 24, 2017

We were hoping to stay in the water until the end of October but unfortunately the arthritis and its associated pain in my left hip got to the point that a hip replacement couldn’t be postponed any longer. I had an injection in June and that bought me some time but that wore off.

Our hauler is very busy this time of year but he was able to fit us in and get us out in time for the October 13th surgery. He gave us a date of September 20th for the haul out.

September 16th was my last night on the boat and it was another gorgeous sunset.



After dark the fog came rolling in. I love this shot from behind my rear deck floodlights.

So the next morning I had a mission and that was to Prepare the Vessel for Haul out & Transport.

In order for the “Must Be Nice” to go down the road I needed to collapse the upper deck railings. On the trailer without the railings the upper deck is 13′ above the road and I believe 14′ is the limit. The picture below from earlier in the season shows the additional height. On the trailer without taking them down we would be at 15′ 6″.

The job of collapsing the railings was easier than I anticipated. All of the fittings have a couple of set screws that hold the pipe so I removed those from the bases and with that done I could lift a complete section out of the bases and lay it down. I used the bases to secure the railings and voilà, job done.

As you can see, the fog from the previous night has lingered. To the south of us hurricanes were sending us plenty of moisture and the seas were starting to build.

By Wednesday September 20th (Haul out day) it was predicted that we could have swells of 10′ or more and making the trip from our mooring out into Saco Bay and then into the Saco River could be a little hairy.

My appointment was for 3PM and High Tide was at 12PM. Conditions were supposed to worsen as the day went on so I wanted to get in that river as soon as I could. The lower the tide the riskier the entrance to the river so I decided to give it a try around 10AM to see how it looked. When I got out into the bay the swells and chop were manageable so I headed for the entrance. I was happy to see that they were not breaking but at the shoaling spot they had decent size. The boat was handling okay so I headed in. It caught me by surprise when I was in the worst of it that when the boat was on the crest of a swell and headed down the face of the wave the engines would come out of the water for a brief time. Luckily it was brief so the momentary loss of steering did not lead to loss of control.

I relaxed enough to take some pictures once I was safely on the dock at Marblehead Boat Landing.

I brought the inflatable ashore, took the engine off, deflated and folded it up. Susan came up and helped me load it into the truck and she brought some lunch. I washed the decks and waited for Bucky from Dayton Industrial Marine.

He and his helper Tim showed up and so did my brother Marshall and Paul Lariviere who was going to be our escort vehicle driver.

This is the first time I’ve had the boat loaded on the trailer from the water. I was able to get a few shots.

So it’s back to the barn and to start making plans for next season.

Right now I’m just letting my new hip heal and when the time is right I need to get a windlass and install that so next year we can do some exploring and “Live on the Hook”.

Hang to the Riggins,


One thought on “Back to the Barn

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.