New Interior layout in 3D

I’ve reworked the interior layout of the MBN a little using Google SketchUP. I’ve never worked with a 3D program like this before and I make a lot of mistakes trying to connect the various surfaces but it is pretty powerful and for the most part easy to use. And did I mention it is Free!

And We Live Here Why????

It is friggin freezing out there.
It’s New Year’s Day and the temperature is struggling to make it above 10 degrees.
It’s days like this I jealously think of all you intelligent people who live in warmer climates and I wonder what the hell I’m doing here.

Anyway back to reality…

My first mission today was to load the girls into the Explorer and take em up to Mickey D’s for Chicky Bicky’s and McGriddle’s for breakfast …

Happy New Year 2009

I finally have had a couple of days to work on the boat. Man I have missed it so much!!!
I left off with beadboard installed to just past the galley (kitchen). So my project (other than friggin tarp repair, see previous post) has been to continue into the Stateroom (bedroom).

So here are some pictures as I make my way around the room. Please note the cubby holes below the window. There is a plywood shelf that runs the length of the hull that acts to stiffen the hull and it also was where the original wiring and control cables …

I’m not as competent as I used to was…

My Dad is one cool guy. In the old Yankee tradition he can handle most anything that comes his way and he doesn’t complain about anything except the government and the way they spend our money. He just turned 79 and he is dealing with inoperable bladder cancer and has been getting chemotherapy which really drains his energy.

More Beadboard Installed

With the changes in the window openings complete I can continue the insulation and beadboard in the Main Salon and make my way down into the Galley and berth spaces. Here’s a picture of
the original galley looking up into the salon for comparison. Notice that ther is only enough room for 1 overhead cabinet in the original design.
Also the stairs are against this wall. We have moved those to the center.

Making Smaller Window Openings

The original design of the port side at galley level had a very small head and a full size refrigerator as seen in the picture below.

Check out the Beadboard Baby!

A few years ago I built a sunroom and we finished the walls with painted beadboard. Susan and I both love the feel of the room and when we talked about what the interior of the boat should look
like we both felt that the beadboard would be a winner so after looking at different options like full 3/4″ thick board (costly and heavy) and a plastic product called Azek (http://www.azek.com/viewProduct.php?id=7we) (very costly but lightweight and waterproof) we decided to try a product we found at Lowes that is a real
pine board but only 5/16″ thick and 3″ wide …

Where does the time went?

Well my friends I must say that much time has certainly “went” by since my last post. (The expression, “where does the time went?”, is what our first landlady Mrs. Letender used to
say when Susan and I were first married and we moved to her building in Biddeford Maine. She was a crabby old French lady who loved to complain. Her English was amusing to say the
least)

Since my last post I’ve had a computer hard drive failure and lost a bunch of my pictures and plans for the boat.
I was told to stop working on the boat by my family doctor when …

“They didn’t do you any favors…”

“They didn’t do you any favors…” That’s what a very experienced window technician from Portland Glass Company told me upon inspecting the window I brought in to get some advice
about.

The good news is that the rubber stripping that the windows slide in is still available and I can buy it in 12′ strips and replace the existing dried up and cracked stripping. The bad news is
that many of the windows have been sealed with caulking and who knows what all and it’s going to be a major pain to clean out the old material.

Here’s a shot of the window …

Happy New Year 2008 Update (Part II)

Check out the new ceilings my friends !!! I am so happy to finally be doing some finish work. Up until this time everything has been structural and rot repair. All very important but
none of it shows. With the ceilings I’m able to combine structural enhancements with finish work because I am adding 1″x 6″ Oak joists to the existing 2″x 4″ pieces to beef them up. We plan on
spending a lot of time on the exterior decks above the cabins and I didn’t feel the existing design was sufficient as evidenced by the way the old rooftop …